You may not think that winter could be your favourite time to visit the beach but there are benefits and many fun winter beach activities to enjoy! With fewer people and a real chance to relax, an Australian winter holiday can be a perfect time for a mid-year getaway.
Let’s not forget that the Northern Rivers area (Tweed Coast to Byron Bay) is the perfect spot for the winter getaway. With mild weather and cool nights, its the perfect opportunity to enjoy the beach – and you are only 90 minutes by car from Brisbane or 20 minutes from the Gold Coast Airport.
When the beach is yours, there are no crowds and the weather mild, here are some fun winter beach activities!
- The brisk walk along the beach – nothing like it to refresh the mind, soul and spirit and the cool breeze blows your cares away.
- Surf’s up. There are plenty of local surf companies (try Josh Fuller at in2surf) keen to take you surfing out during winter. Waves are good and a great opportunity to improve your skills.
- Watching the whales go by – spotting them from the shoreline – or high up from Cudgen Headland – and watching these majestic creatures as they make their way up (and down) the coast as part of their winter migration. Binoculars optional!
- Kite flying. No chance of their not being enough breeze and a great activity for all the family to enjoy (now is probably not the time to tell you about a funny family kite story where we flew a kite so high that the airport authorities paid us a visit! – true story! :-))
- Beach cricket/rugby/AFL/Soccer etc etc – beach sport games are still popular in winter – getting your feet wet is optional.
- Watching the sunrise/sunset with a warm drink and a moment to pause. Winter nights produce many spectacular sunrises and sunsets (and lately some great moon shots courtesy of the “Super Moon”). This is great any time of year. Even better – bring along friends and nibblies and enjoy it all together.
- Fishing is great in winter too. Watch the tides, bait your hook and cast your rod into the surf. Tailor is currently biting from Cudgen Headland to Cabarita, bream and jew along the rock walls at the Tweed River mouth, luderick close to the bridges and rock walls and flathead on the ebb tide around the sand banks.
- A warm, sunny spot to read is the perfect way to relax on your winter break as well. Shelter in amongst the dunes or byo shelter and enjoy the fresh air whilst retreating to the world of your favourite book in a perfect location.
- A winter swim. Many “icebergers” or winter swimmers swear by the therapeutic benefits of swimming in the cooler months. Is it your turn to try?
- And don’t forget to build that sandcastle. With a lesser risk of sunburn (you will be rugged up after all!) play in the sand and build your own creation decorated with shells, moats, driftwood and grasses scavenged from the beach. A fun activity for all the family and a perfect way to soak up the sun and atmosphere on a perfect winter break.
…and if all else fails (and the weather is really terrible), there is nothing better than visiting the local movie theatre, markets or other attractions, or just curling up by the fire at your own luxury beachfront holiday home…
Chances are you may already be enjoying these ideas. I’m glad to share them with you in case you forgot one. Have a great winter!
…and… if you are looking for a resort-style luxury beachfront holiday home for your family holiday, romantic break wedding accommodation, (watch our video here), or a girls getaway contact us at La Maison Pacifique for availability and a quote…. Remember, our rates compare really well with local 5-star resorts – and La Maison Pacifique is private – on the beach – walking distance to cafes at Cabarita Beach – perfect spot for whale watching (June to November each year) – children optional!
Would you like to book or find out more about us?
Look at our last minute accommodation specials or
Until next time – enjoy your day wherever you are from La Maison Pacifique “The Peaceful House” and your boutique designer luxury holiday home vacation rental in Casuarina, New South Wales, Australia – half way between the Gold Coast QLD and Byron Bay NSW, Australia.
Property Consultant & Interior Designer
La Maison Pacifique
Telephone – call +61 411 452 759
Mobile/Cell – call or text +61 411 452 759
Email – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – visit http://www.lamaisonpacifique.com
LinkedIn Group – join http://www.linkedin.com/groups/La-Maison-Pacifique-4634043
LinkedIn Company – follow Linked in Company
Google+ Person – add to circle https://plus.google.com/112592221587833404365/
Google+ Page – follow https://plus.google.com/b/112592221587833404365/
Twitter – follow http://www.twitter.com/maisonpacifique
Facebook – like http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Maison-Pacifique/231607423592843
Newsletter – subscribe at http://eepurl.com/Am0zz
Video Tour – http://www.youtube.com/embed/KR8MiuA00Xg
Wedding Accommodation Video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi7xxUJSDDE